- Volkswagen maintained its position as Ireland’s favourite car manufacturer with a 12.27% market share ahead of Toyota and Ford.
- Hyundai was the best selling brand in July with 3,154 sales.
- To the end of July this year, 109,960 new private cars have been licensed, up from 84,388 in 2014.
- The most popular new car is the Volkswagen Golf followed by the Ford Focus, Nissan’s Qashqai, and the Skoda Octavia.
- Electric cars are also up by 142% with 398 sold in the first seven months of this year compared with only 164 in the same period last year.
- When it comes to colour we are a conservative bunch. Silver has replaced Black as the most common new car colour, followed by grey, white and blue.
- Hatchbacks and saloons are the most common body types accounting for almost 60pc of all new cars.
- While diesel still takes the lion’s share of sales petrol’s share of the market grew slightly – from 25.55% in 2014 to 27.42% in 2015.
- The government has also gained from the new car sales with €761 million collected from Car Sales alone in 2015.
- Motor insurance costs have increased by 15.7% since June 2014.
4th August, 2015