We have 5 reasons why slowing down is a good idea writes Geraldine Herbert
It is National “Slow Down” Day from 7 am on Tuesday 1st March until – 7 am Wednesday 2nd March and the Gardaí are launching a major speed clamp-down.
We have 5 reasons why slowing down is a good idea
- Save lives –If a child crosses the road 13 m in front of a car traveling at 30 km/h, it can stop just before hitting the child. However, if the car’s speed is 50 km/h or more, the child will be hit by the car and there will be little chance of survival.
- Save Fuel –Driving at 110km/h uses up to 9% more fuel than at 96km/h and up to 15% more than at 80km/h.
- Save on Maintenance – Lower speeds should also reduce vehicle wear and tear.
- Save Stress – Driving can actually be a relaxing and pleasant experience.
- Save Money – Staying within the speed limits means no speeding tickets!
1st March 2022