Accidents happen and if you’re unfortunately involved in a minor collision it’s essential you follow the steps below!
- Stay put – never leave the scene of an accident, no matter how minor it may seem. Even if you bump off of another car in a car park it’s important to leave your contact details so you can be contacted about damages.
- Check – if there are any injuries, no matter how insignificant they may seem it’s important to call the Gardai and an ambulance. If you’re unsure of anything call the Gardai who will come to the scene to collect details from everyone.
- Photos – use your phone to take picture of all vehicles involved and any damage to property. Your insurance company will look for this information.
- Details – Get the full name and address of the other driver and of any witnesses. It’s also important to get insurance details from the other vehicle. If the other party is being in any way unhelpful call the Gardai.
- Do not discuss fault at this point – more than likely you will be in shock and any information you give could be taken as a statement.
- Call – your insurance company as soon as possible – Even if it’s not your fault or if you don’t intend to claim from them. If you don’t make a claim it won’t affect your no claims bonus but if you don’t inform them of any incident it can be seen as a sign of guilt!! If you have comprehensive insurance they will generally send an assessor to look at your car and then they will take on the other driver’s insurance company on your behalf.
- Property damage – even if there was no other vehicle involved you might be responsible for repairs to walls/fences etc. It’s important to leave your details with the property owners so that you can cover the repair bill.
19th January, 2016