How to declare your car ‘Off the Road’

tax_discs Its now 12 month since changes to the Motor Tax system means that drivers must declare cars as ‘off the road ’ before the motor tax runs out writes Suzanne Keane.

If you’ve just received your motor tax renewal form and are planning on not using your car for a few months the steps below will show you how to declare your car off the road officially online to avoid the queues! You will need to do this before your current tax disc expires.


Firstly you will need to go to 


To declare your car off the road click on the link circled in red above.

You’ll then be asked to enter your registration and Pin – this can be found on your renewal form that you either received by post or online if you’ve registered your email address.



Once you’ve logged in you’ll see details of your car and your address details. If you’d like to change your registered address or phone number and email address you can click the NO button to update your details.



If you don’t want to change any details just click yes!


You’ll then need to choose the length of declaration – 3, 6 or 12 months. Don’t worry if you’re not sure – all you’ll need to do is to fill in an RF150 form whenever you want to tax the car again and once your new disc is issued it will cancel the off road declaration.

Press submit and don’t forget to print your confirmation page!

Error messages – I came across this error screen numerous times while trying to use the online service. If the same happens to you just be patient, keep going back to try again and it will eventually work! 



Suzanne Keane

18th August, 2014


Author: Suzanne Keane

A confirmed petrol head with a penchant for Retro VW’s, Suzanne has been taking apart (and sometimes putting back together) her own cars for years! You can follow Suzanne on Twitter at @_suzannekeane

Share This Post On