How and where to scrap your car


Need to scrap your car? We have all the information you need writes Geraldine Herbert

Over 50% of cars tested by the NCT last year failed on the first test. In most cases the causes are fairly simple and easy to fix problems. Issues with the Tyres, Front Suspension brake Line / Hoses, Headlamp Aim and Stop Lamps are cited as the most common reasons why cars fail. However over 6,000 cars every year fail dangerously. Owners are often faced with a fault that is just simply too expensive to fix given the overall value of the car.

When this happens the best option usually is to scrap the car, but how do you do it?

Scrapping has changed in recent years and is now regulated by the Waste Management (End-of-Life Vehicles) Regulations 2014. In order to scrap a car you need to take it to an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) that is licenced by the Environment Protection Agency.  Disposal of a car poses an environmental risk due to the  hazardous materials contained in these cars  such lead acid batteries, fluids including lubricating oil, coolant, brake fluid, and catalytic convertors, all of which must be disposed of safely in order to prevent pollution.  About 160,000 cars a year are scrapped in Ireland.


Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF)

  • The first thing you need to do is contact your local authority or the vehicle importer to find out where the nearest ATF is to you. (You can also get in touch with who will provide you with an online quote)
  • It’s important to avoid dodgy dealers when scrapping your car – they’ll be nothing but trouble. They can offer unrealistically high amounts for your scrap car – but then drop their offer dramatically on collection. There’s also the risk of negligence or dishonesty when dealing with your car paperwork. Dodgy dealers may not provide a genuine Certificate of Destruction which means you’re still legally linked to your old car and could be stung with government fines for it.
  • Bring your vehicle registration documents with you to the ATF, as the registered owner of the car cannot be charged for depositing an end-of-life vehicle at an authorised treatment facility. If you don’t have the registration documents then you need to get an RF134 form and bring it to your local Garda station to have it signed. When signed send the form with the appropriate fee to your Motor Tax Office. It should take about 10 working days to process.

Don’t remove any parts of the car

  • Don’t remove any parts of the car, e.g. engine, gearbox or you may be charged for the disposal. If there’s a minimum of 3 complete months of road tax left on your car, motorists can get a refund for any complete months that remain. You will need to get the Form RF120 signed/stamped at a Garda Station, and present it, along with the Certificate of Destruction at your local motor tax office.


  • It’s also important to call your car insurers and let them know your car has been scrapped. They’ll generally give you the option of either transferring any funds you hold with them towards insuring your next vehicle, or giving you a refund for any unused months.


  • Once the car is scrapped the ATF will issue you with certificate of destruction which effectively means the car has been de-registered, forward the details of the certificate of destruction to the National Vehicle File and ensure the vehicle must be treated within 10 days of being deposited at the facility.




Geraldine Herbert

1st Oct, 2022


Author: Geraldine Herbert

Motoring Editor and Columnist for the Sunday Independent and editor of wheelsforwomen. Geraldine is also a regular contributor to Good Housekeeping (UK), EuroNews and to RTÉ, Newstalk, TodayFM, BBC Radio and Vigin Media. You can follow Geraldine on Twitter at @GerHerbert1

Share This Post On