The Project EDWARD initiative has been organised by TISPOL, the Traffic Police network in Europe, and its aim is that no-one dies on the roads of Europe on Wednesday 19th of September.
Drivers are unwittingly or sometimes knowingly putting other road users at risk in so many ways, perhaps by speeding, drink-driving, not wearing a seat belt, using the phone while driving, using vehicles they have not kept roadworthy, parking their cars on bicycle lanes, blocking pedestrian crossings, not turning on their lights or engaging in risky manoeuvres.
TISPOL’s target is that no one should die on the roads of Europe on Wednesday 19 September and Project EDWARD aims to make a significant contribution towards further sizeable and sustained reductions in road death and serious injury.
So whether you represent a national government, a private organisation, a public agency, a charity, a school, college or university, or whether you simply care as an individual, please join us and make the pledge to support Project EDWARD, and do your bit to reduce risk and improve safety for the people who use our roads.
Road safety pledge:
I promise that I will:
- Remind my family, friends and colleagues to take extra care on the roads.
- Put my lights on for safety.
- Drive as safely as I can and follow the rules when behind the wheel or riding a motorbike or bicycle.
- Be extra vigilant and attentive to the needs of pedestrians, cyclists, children, older people and horse riders.
- Drive at speeds that are both legal and safe.
- Carry out proper safety checks on my tyres.
- Pay particular attention when driving near schools, and where there are lots of children.
- Never drive after drinking alcohol or taking drugs/medicines that could impair safety.
- Look as far ahead as possible and not tailgate other drivers
- Always wear my seat belt and ensure that everyone with me wears theirs.
- Not use my mobile phone while driving.
- Ensuring I am not distracted by anything inside or outside the car, or inside my head.
- Set a good example to my passengers by driving calmly and safely.
- If I’m a passenger, make sure that the driver is fit and legal to drive
Share your actions using #ProjectEDWARD
You can pledge your support here
16th September, 2018