Two women were injured in a carjacking at a Dublin hospital yesterday evening, we have some tips to reduce your chances of becoming a victim of crime
1. Park in a well lit area.
2. When returning to your parked car, be aware of the surroundings. Walk with purpose and stay alert
3. Be wary of people asking for directions or handing out fliers
4. Once inside your car lock your doors and roll up your windows
5. Always keep the car at least half full of fuel
6. Avoid driving alone. Go with someone whenever possible, especially at night.
7. Always try to leave a gap between your vehicle and the car in front when parked at traffic lights.
8. Always ensure that you take your car keys out of the vehicle if you are going into shops or a petrol station
9. Make sure that you know the route you are using to travel to your destination. Car-jacking gangs may be more likely to target motorists who look unsure of where they are going
10. If your vehicle is under attack, dial 999 if you have a mobile phone and sound your horn to draw attention to your car.
And remember if the worst happens and a carjacker threatens you with a weapon, give up your car. Don’t argue. Your life is worth more than a car
8th October 2018