- Plan your route ahead of time and stick to main roads. Always keep a map in your glove box.
- Fill up your tank before it reaches a quarter full to avoid the worry of running low on fuel while trying to find a petrol station.
- Make sure your mobile phone is charged and has sufficient call credit.
- Tell someone what time you expect to arrive at your destination.
- Check basic safety features on the car before you set off including your lights and hazards lights and ensure that your tyres are in good condition.
- Keep a safe distance from the car ahead of you and lock your doors and your windows.
- Park in well-lit spaces and have your keys handy when approaching your car.
- Do not text and drive. Not only does it distract you from driving and is likely to cause an accident but you will also be unaware of what is happening around you.
- Be conscious of security so hide valuables, remove sat-naves when you leave the car, and never give lifts to strangers.
- If you break down, pull over and call breakdown assistance. Put your hazard lights on to warn other vehicles and stay away from the road.
2nd November, 2016