1) Drivers who wear glasses must keep a spare set in their car.
2) Seatbelts are compulsory for front and rear-seat occupants
3) There are tolls on motorways so take plenty of change with you as often these are automated barriers
4) Warning triangles are a common requirement in much of Europe but Spain goes one step further – you’ll need to pack two as you may face a fine if you only produce one in a breakdown accident.
5) You must not only have a spare tyre but you’ll also need tools for changing the tyre or a tyre repair kit.
6) When driving on a motorway drivers flash their headlights to warn you that they are about to pass
7) To drive in Spain you must be aged 18 or over. To rent a vehicle you must be 21 or over. Many companies also require you to have held your driver’s license for a minimum of one or two years.
8) The use of mobile phones while driving is prohibited. Hands-free kits are permitted, but they are not allowed to have earpiece attachments.
9) Visiting motorists must pay their fines immediately otherwise the vehicle will be confiscated until the fine is paid.
10) Your car can be impounded because of mechanical defects, excess noise or pollution, lack of insurance or because the driver refuses to pay a fine, or is under the influence of alcohol.
14th April, 2016