What is a Green card and why would you need one?

In the event of a no deal Brexit motorists travelling between Britain and Ireland will need a Green Card but what is and how do you get it? Geraldine Herbert explains


What is a green card?

Currently, when you take your car to any country within the EU including the UK you are covered by the terms of the EU Motor Insurance Directive (MID).  Essentially what this says is that anyone who holds a  motor insurance policy in an EU country is covered to drive throughout the entire EU.  However if the UK exit on March 29th without a deal this directive no longer applies in the UK. For this reason, an international insurance document known as a Green card will be needed as a proof of motor insurance.


How will I get one?

If you intend taking your car to Northern Ireland or to the UK you will need to notify your insurance company of your departure and return dates, at least four weeks in advance. They will then issue you a green card and they may or may not, depending on the insurance company charge for this.


How long will the Green Card be valid for?

The Regulations do not stipulate a maximum period so it will be at the discretion of insurance companies as to how long a green card is valid for.


Will I need one to rent a car?

No, you won’t need a green card if you’re just hiring a car in the UK.


Geraldine Herbert

23rd January 2019

Author: Geraldine Herbert

Contributing Editor and Motoring Columnist for the Sunday Independent and editor of wheelsforwomen. Geraldine is also a regular contributor to Good Housekeeping (UK) and to RTÉ Radio One, Newstalk, TodayFM and BBC Radio. You can follow Geraldine on Twitter at @GerHerbert1

Share This Post On