When it comes to car options there are a few luxuries that we think are worth paying for writes Geraldine Herbert
There is a bewildering amount of choice when it comes to car extras and it is easy to blur the line between wants and needs but whichever you are considering make sure research your options and know exactly what you are getting for your money. Its also worth remembering that some options may make resale values higher so here are a few we think worth considering.
1. Apple carplay/Android Auto – The two systems are very similar and essential they allow the user to connect their phone to the car and operate it via the touchscreen on the dash so you can make hands-free calls, dictate texts and play music.
2. Heated and cooled seats – Once a feature only associated with top end models on a cold morning heated seats are the uncontested luxury every car should have. The jury is still out on the benefit of cooled seats; I can’t say I relish the thought of cold air blowing gently up from my seat and to some it could be little disconcerting but during those rare heatwave spells you may be very glad of the extra ventilation.
3. Panoramic roof – Sometimes a “glass ceiling” is just what you want and this not only looks good but will flood your interior with light. Therefore not only will it brighten up what may be a dull cabin but it will also make a tightly packed interior seem more spacious and upmarket than the same car with a regular roof.
4. Leather upholstery – A pricey and therefore a more luxury option than most it is one to consider if your budget can stretch. Not only is it easy to clean and ideal in a family car but it gives the car a very classy feel.
5. Reversing Camera -Nothing comes close to the reassurance of a reversing camera. While the quality of the camera varies from one car manufacturer to another a reversing camera is one parking aid not worth scrimping on.
6. Metallic Paint – When it comes to resale values Metallic paint should be high on your list. However as with all colour choices choose wisely, while Tangerine orange is still the colour of choice for standing out in the supermarket car park a more subtle option is likely to appeal when it’s time to sell.
7. Automatic Gearbox – With traffic congestion a constant feature of commuting automatic cars are more desirable than ever. And for the keen driver the sleek gear changes and paddle shifts means the manual gearbox is no longer sacred. Options such as Eco mode enhance both its fuel efficiency and appeal.
8. Power operated tailgate –Thankfully this is appearing more on entry level models in the past 12 months and while it may seem like an unnecessary extra once you get used to the convenience and ease of simply pushing a button to open and close the boot — especially when your arms are full – you will never opt for a conventional one again.