Volvo has revealed its all new flagship saloon writes Geraldine Herbert
1) The S90 replaces the current S80 and will be joined by a V90 estate version; it’s designed to rival the likes of BMW’s 5 series, Mercedes E Class and Audi’s A6.
2) Following in the footsteps of the XC90 the grille and those signature headlights are all familiar but the S90 is a much more sleek and elegant package.
3) The S90 will be front-wheel drive but will be also offered in four-wheel drive.
4) Engine choices include a plug-in hybrid.
5) Interior is minimalist and the S90 borrows the large, vertically oriented touch screen from the XC90
6) Safety is key in the S90 and Volvo introduces a world-first function to City Safety – large animal detection – a system capable of detecting large animals such as elk, horses or moose, night or day.
7) The S90 is to be officially unveiled at the Detroit motor show while the estate version, the V90, will make its debut two months later, at Geneva.
8) The new Volvo S90 comes loaded with technology including a Pilot Assist system that will steer the car to keep it properly aligned within lane markings at up to speeds of around 80mph.
9) Full details of Irish pricing and specification are not likely to be revealed until next year.
10) With a combination of beauty, brains and brawn the S90 could be a serious game changer for Volvo.
3rd December, 2015