When buying from a private seller you do not have the same consumer rights as you do when buying a car from dealership, it is very much a case of ‘buyer beware. However it is an offence for a seller to withhold or provide misleading information about the car so with this in mind there are important questions you must ask.
- Has the car ever been crashed?
- Has any bodywork been done to the vehicle ?
- Has any major mechanical work been done on the vehicle ?
- What is the correct mileage for this vehicle?
- How many previous owners has the vehicle had?
- Is there any outstanding finance on the vehicle?
- When was the last full service carried out on the vehicle?
- Has the car been imported and if so, have all relevant charges been paid (VAT, VRT etc)?
10th September, 2018